General resource site for Cryptography.
- Cryptography originally meant Secret Writing and was use by Caesar in his communications from the Gallic wars. Since then it has become a category of mathematics dealing with methods that are easy to invoke and difficult to discover. Commercial Cryptography is involved in:
- protecting data from disclosure (its original purpose) and
- assuring the source or integrity of messages.
- Cryptography is hard math that deals with the solution of hard problems. It is not a topic that can be addressed by programmers looking for simple solutions with a limited time budget.
Most programmatic solutions are not sufficiently robust to fend off attacks by determined adversaries.
- Bill's crypto page has a broad list of crypto methods.