Full Title or Meme
- The GDPR uses the term term liberally but never defines it.
- Several "Member States" have defined the GDPR terms, for example Ireland.
- Several nations in the EU have defined Data Controller, in roughly similar terms.
- The term in not helpful in understanding the practical consequences of the legislation.
In this wiki we will use two terms that together seem to encompass the meaning of Data Controller and provide a better means to discuss the practical solutions.
- A Identifier or Attribute Provider is the source of User Information in any covered transaction on the internet.
- A Relying Party is the sink of User Information in any covered transaction on the internet.
Besides the two entities above a User Object containing User Information may exist at other locations, sometimes under the control of one of the above, sometimes not. See the diagram on the User Object Page for an example were the User Object may even be in a cookie residing on the User Device.
- Irish Data Protection Commission, Are you a "data controller"? https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Are-you-a-Data-Controller/y/43.htm