Deploy .NET to Docker
Full Title or Meme
How to move an application from Visual Studio to a Docker Container on Digital Ocean.
Most Docker solutions work well with Apache or NGINX, some special considerations are needed to get a simple task from from .NET on Visual Studio.
- Most sites now use Let's Encrypt Certificates which come with simple scripts for Apache, but no help for Windows.
There are two distinct parts of the deployment and maintenance of the application plus a little bit of glue to stick one part to the other.
- This example shows use on the DigitalOcean provider accessing it with ssh.
- DigitalOcean Droplets are Linux-based virtual machines (VMs) that run on top of virtualized hardware.
- The default username is root on most operating systems, like Ubuntu and CentOS.
- To access ssh as root sign into https://cloud.digitalocean.com/ (The DigitalOcean control panel.)
- Select the droplet to modify
- From the left side menu, click Access. Now click on the button that says Launch Console.
Deploying the App via Github.com
- An access token is required from GitHub.
Setting up a HTTPS connection
This section shows the use of Let's Encrypt certificates, which have a life of just 3 months, but is free. Other sites have a life of one year but charge money. Two-year certificates are no longer acceptable to many browsers.