Full Title or Meme
A Exonym is a name given to an entity by a foreign source, often in a different language.
- Many web sites require users to have a persistent user name which is unique on their site to identify the user.
- Wikipedia defines Exonym as a common, external name for a geographical place, group of people, individual person, or a language/dialect, that is used only outside that particular place, group, or linguistic community. Exonyms exist not only for historico-geographical reasons, but also in consideration of difficulties when pronouncing foreign words.
- Users may wish to have some name that is not associated with their real name when the web site requires a persistent user name or they may wish to have separate Personas associated (e.g.) with their social self and their work self.
- In contexts where names are not validated (of low Assurance) the problem arises that trolls many adopt the name of some well-known person to be able to make statements that falsely appear to be from the real person.
- While some users may think that separate Personas cannot be correlated, research has shown that this goal will not be possible That reality does not prevent users from trying to use Pseudonyms to remain Anonymous, but it will never work against a determined adversary.
- Users are often asked to use their email address as a local user name since the email address is known to be a URI and hence unique in the internet, at least for a period of time.
- When the user has an option, they often pick some sort of description name, such as a gamertag in a role playing game, which is tested for uniqueness within the relevant name domain.
- When a user needs to provide some sort of validated attribute for the duration of a session at a web site, a session ID might provide sufficient security to bind the verified attribute for the session duration.
- Jack Nicas, Oprah, Is That You? Most Likely, It's Not. 2018-07-08 New York Times page BU1
- Gina Kolata, Can Data be Fully Anonymous? New Algorithms can still identify you New York Times (2019-07-24) p A8.
- Luc Rocher, Julien M. Hendrickx, Yves-Alexandre de Montjoye, Estimating the success of re-identifications in incomplete datasets using generative model (2019-07-23) Nature Communications https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-10933-3
- Synonyms for an Exonym include Xenonym, Pseudonym ,i User Name, display name, Subject ID (sub).
- Anonym is not used in the context of identity as it does not provide one. It may be used as the condition (Anonymous) of a user prior to accepting (1) a cookie, (2) a fixed IP address, (3) an HTTPS connection or (4) a request for an Identifier.