Full Title or Meme
A mental image of the state of affairs of the world as we know it or as we would like it to be. The starting point for any rational discussion of alternatives.
- Reasoning about the current state of affairs of any Ecosystem has proven to be problem that is much more difficult than anyone imagined even 100 years ago when the Frameworks of what could be known were believed to be fixed.
- What has become clear since is that no Framework of any system of knowledge can be above criticism and revision.
- It is difficult to even discuss fixing any problem if the parties to the conversation do not share a common model of the current state of affairs.
- It is even better if there can be agreement about the state of affairs that most participants accept as best for the future.
- Which is not to say that Disruption from some unanticipated solution will not be accepted into the Ecosystem since there will always be opportunity for the dissenters to try other solutions.
- The current state of the internet reflects technology changes already introduced. Since this state is not acceptable to most people and governments, inaction is not an option.
- Some of the proposals for are for complete Disruption using a new type of Trusted Identity in Cyberspace which is based on distributed ledgers.
- This wiki assumes that the changes will need to be more gradual Evolution that permits users who are comfortable with the status quo to continue to function with only modest changes.
- In creating a Framework for the future of Trusted Identity in Cyberspace there are two problems in particular to be avoided:
- The Framework should not be inconsistent.
- The Framework needs to direct designers to build systems will meet the principles in force, for example the NSTIC principles.
- The General Theory of Living Systems is proposed to be as good as any other theoretical model of looking at information handling systems working together in a common Ecosystem.
- The current problem of discussion is how to build towards an ecosystem with Trusted Identity in Cyberspace while protecting the Privacy of User Private Information.
- The first step is the creation of a Framework of Trust among the parties exchanging information.
- The next step is looking at the User Experience that is the desired result of implementing the this proposed Framework over the full lifetime of all interchanges among the parties.
- The final step is assuring that the proposed Framework is economically viable.
- An important follow-on to the creation of the Framework is proselytizing its acceptance by the community or, in other words, building out the Ecosystem.
- The resultant Framework needs to be Resilient, so it is important that Evolution in the face of change is anticipated since no plan can possibly foresee the full impact of proposed changes.
- The only viable option seems to propose and implement the best changes that can be formulated to date, and work to revise the Framework as new problems are discovered.
- This wiki is dedicated to that process.
Some Examples of Frameworks
- Knowledge = While philosophers have argued about the Framework or presuppositions underlying a theory of knowledge since Thales, the most natural one is based on the Evolution of knowledge by a series of changes (mutations) over time that are subject to the survival of the fittest ideas by the criticism of experts in the field.
- Rationality = As a basis for decision process Rationality has been assumed to be essential. Unfortunately, rationality can be extrinsic, or based on external knowledge obtained inductively from the exiting Ecosystems, or intrinsic, based on a person's internal value system. The mixture of these two modes of thought in one person make rational decisions dependent on circumstances and not deterministic.
- Digital Identity = The Australian Government Digital Transformation Agency has created a Trusted Digital Identity Framework to help users interact with government safely and securely which starts out with the more modest goal of physical proofing rather than with a full Framework for Trusted Identity in Cyberspace. The supposition is that change can then be built on a solid, if limited, Framework. https://www.dta.gov.au/what-we-do/policies-and-programs/identity/
- Data Processing = for example see the wiki page on the US DoD Architecture Framework.