Full Title or Meme
- The General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) of the European Union
- REGULATION (EU) 2016/679 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 27 April 2016
- Above all else, GDPR represents the ongoing battle between unfettered capitalism and human dignity.
- A good source of material on the EU GDPR is available at this site.
- The GDPR is a scam page describes some of the problems with the regulations.
Clear and plane language is required by the where-as paragraph 39. "The principle of Transparency requires that any information and communication relating to the processing of those personal data be easily accessible and easy to understand, and that clear and plain language be used"
Guidelines on Transparency have been published http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/item-detail.cfm?item_id=622227
- This regulation is an attempt to regulate the impact of the large scale gathering of user data by large US-based corporations.
- This regulation raised hopes of privacy advocates, but in the end failed to deliver.
- One (and only one) nation in the EU is determined to be competent to penalize a company for violations. The first case adjudicated on GDPR was against Google and resulted in a fine of 50 Million euros. Details are at the CNIL site. (2019-01-21)
- DATA PROTECTION: COMMISSION ADOPTS ADEQUACY DECISIONS FOR THE UK 2021-06-28 which means the GDPR still applies in the UK.
- The cost of non-compliance cans be an existential threat to the continued existence of the corporation as described in this article.
- Brett M. Frischmann, quoted in Samuel Greengard, Weighing the Impact of GDPR. CACM 61 (2018-11) p. 16ff
- MATT BURGES, How GDPR Is Failing (2022-05-23) Wired https://www.wired.com/story/gdpr-2022/