Full Title or Meme
Identity Theft is a special case of an Identity Pathology that is used to acquire access to financial accounts at a Web Site that can be exploited to provide the attacker with the means to steal or launder money.
There are many types of accounts that can be exploited by attackers. For example the attacker can use illegally acquired money in one country to over pay a user's tax account and then apply to that taxing authority for a refund.
- The number of exploits against a user's
- It is easy at many Web Sites to create accounts. Only financial accounts that are in a depository institution (like a bank) are subject to strong Know Your Customer legislation.
- Users must be protected from fraudulent account creation by giving them control of their own User Private Information.
- Still Users need to be aware of their own account status and monitor them for fraudulent activity.
- Ann Carrns, Freezing Credit Will Now Be Free. Here’s Why You Should Go for It. (2018-09-15) New York Times p. B4 https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/14/your-money/credit-freeze-free.html