Full Title or Meme
People do not want to run their own servers, and never will.
- Web3 is Inconvenience reified. The term was coined by Gavin Wood to encompass a movement among the programing cognoscenti to move away from the centralized control acquired by big tech like Google and FaceBook.
- With the shift to mobile, we now live firmly in a world of clients and servers – with the former completely unable to act as the latter – and those questions seem more important to me than ever. Meanwhile, Ethereum actually refers to servers as “clients,” so there’s not even a word for an actual untrusted client/server interface that will have to exist somewhere, and no acknowledgement that if successful there will ultimately be billions more clients than servers.
- NFTs were designed to be web3 objects, but it seems that servers, like Open Sea have dictatorial control of what NFTs will actually appear in your wallet. How is that possible in a Decentralized Ecosystem?
- Moxie Marlinspike, My first impressions of web3 https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html
- GILAD EDELMAN, Paradise at the Crypto Arcade: Inside the Web3 Revolution Wired (2022-05-10) https://www.wired.com/story/web3-paradise-crypto-arcade/?utm_source=nl&utm_brand=wired
- GILAD EDELMAN, The Father of Web3 Wants You to Trust Less Wired 2021-11-29 https://www.wired.com/story/web3-gavin-wood-interview/