One-Time Password Authenticator
Full Title or Meme
Authenticators are devices in the user possession that can generate a one-time password.
- Security Dynamics invented and patented the "Time-Based One-Time Password Algorithm" which has since come off-patent and standardized as RFC 6238 in May 2011.
- Give users a hand-held device that can generate password for access to secure accounts.
- All of the security is in the place that generates the OTP. The seed for the OTP is a very high-value target and has been hacked at is source from the beginning. 
- The original Security Dynamics (later RSA, now Dell) Authenticator was a small hand held device that continually generated a password every (eg 30) seconds that could be sync'd with the server.
- Now Microsoft, Google and others offer Authencators as Smart Phone Native Apps.
The following is a list of some of the Authentictors now in use.
- RSA SecurID is the original device. It came in multiple form factors.
- Symantec VIP Security Card size of a credit card.
- Symantec VIP Security Token size of a key fob.
- Feitian MultiPass FIDO Security Key
- Google Authenticator Native App
- Andy Greenberg The Full Story of te Stunning RSA Hack can Finally be Told World (2021-05-20) https://www.wired.com/story/the-full-story-of-the-stunning-rsa-hack-can-finally-be-told/