Open Source Security
Full Title or Meme
Open Source Security technically applies to all software where the source code is available. In practice it means software that is developed using open source tools.
- A common problem with code that was developed in closed, even secretive, environments was often buggy and of unknown quality.
- In fact code like OpenSSL had bugs that persisted for years before they were discovered and patched.
- The opposite is closed source software which is the way that software was originally written.
- The meaning of Open Source Software is sometimes conflated with Free Open Source Software, which is a common attribution that is not shared by all.
- Open Source web site contains a list of FOSS organization and claims the meaning of open source to be FOSS.
- For details on OSS and FOSS see the wiki page Open Source Software.