Private Key Component
Full Title or Meme
Good Public Key Cryptography is dependent on the absolute protection of the Private Key Component of the public/private key pair.
- Protecting one's secret information, in the modern age of computers, has become synonymous with protect a secret key or a Private Key Component of a key pair.
- This wiki uses the term Credential for any secret held by a device that can be used in authenticating a user. The best know credential (2020) is a well-protected private key component.
- Governments have been the primary customers for keeping secrets and, so, the primary customers for cryptography.
- The challenge with providing good secrecy became a challenge to (1) find a good cryptography algorithm and (2) getting the cryptographic key security into the hands of those who need it.
- NIST SP 800-63-3B established authentication assurance level (AAL) the report on the protection to the users private key components.
- Also see this wiki page Self-signed Certificate.
- Accessing and using certificate private keys in .NET Framework/.NET Core describes the mess created when Microsoft switched from their legacy CAPI key storage API to the CNG (Crypto Next Generation) key storage. The mess continues to this day.