Protocol Handlers are models that can be added to a user's computer to extend the range of protocols that can be handled by that computer.
These solutions are directed primarily to Smartphones, although uses on desktop computers are also considered. Originally all protocol handlers were written in native code for the operating system and installed by the user.
Was a topic in BlinkOn 15 2021-11-17
- Implement registerProtocolHandler on Android a CR bug issue 178097 originally posed on 2013-02-25
- Move ProtocolHandlerRegistry to a new //component in Chromium Gerrit
- Stephen Shankland twitter @stshank Google plans to add into Chrome the ability to handle decentralized web protocols (e.g. dat, dweb, ipfs, ipns, ssb). Decentralized web = more of a peer-to-peer design, where individuals host their own content. https://t.co/W05X4ljZUe?amp=1
- Intent to Prototype and Ship: Add schemes for decentralized web protocols to the safelist of registerProtocolHandler from Frederic Wang at igalia.com 2020-04-24
- PWAs as URL Handlers for the web.dev web page 2021-01-29 report by Thomas Steiner.
- URL protocol handler registration for PWAs a GitHub repository from Thomas Steiner.
- github site which should have current data on the progress