Publicly Accessible Data and Code
Revision as of 18:04, 13 June 2021 by Tom (Created page with "==Full Title or Meme== The very idea that Publicly Accessible Data and Code can be trusted to keep data private is utterly ludicrous, but that hasn't stopped the true beli...")
Full Title or Meme
The very idea that Publicly Accessible Data and Code can be trusted to keep data private is utterly ludicrous, but that hasn't stopped the true believers.
- Every since John Perry Barlow declared that "Data wants to be free" there has been a mythology built up around the idea that anarchy is good for freedom.
- There is no evidence that this will every be possible given human nature.
- As expected criminals of all stripes have
- But as "Deep Throat explained to Woodward and Berstein, the key is to "follow the money". That has always been what the tax man and the prosecutors do.
- In 2021 the reality hit the myth with a double whammy.<Jack Nicas and Michael s. Schmidt, Bitcoin and Encryption: A Race Between Criminals and the F.B.I. New York Times (2021=06-13) https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/12/technology/fbi-bitcoin-ransom-encryption.html?searchResultPosition=1</ref>