Revision as of 10:58, 1 September 2018 by Tom
Full Title or Meme
The problem of giving and maintaining a continuing identity for a real-world person on a digital network.
- Simplest of all the User needs to Authenticate from time to time and on a variety of devices under less than ideal conditions where passwords are mistyped and Alternate Authentication factors are lost or fail.
- More sever Recovery problems occur when the User has lost control of their account and needs it to be reset. The level of Authentication for these situation can be severely taxing to a user desperate for access to their accounts.
- When a Authentication factor like an alternate email or phone number is compromised, insecure Recovery methods themselves become a means of attack, especially since factors like phone number were never intended to be secure.
- Before the user can request a list of data that is held about them, or Redress for mistakes made by a Data Controller they must Authenticate themselves to the data controller to assure that the Recovery process itself does not leak data.
- Before any Data Controller can report to the user about leakage of User Private Information, they just have good contact information for the User.
- Before any Data Controller can
- As a part of creating a User Object to hold User Information any Site needs to first of all assure that they can contact the user.
- Lily Hay Newman, PHONE NUMBERS WERE NEVER MEANT AS ID. NOW WE’RE ALL AT RISK (2018-08-25) Wired Magazine https://www.wired.com/story/phone-numbers-indentification-authentication