Full Title or Meme
- Based on the obsolete idea that all of language can be divided into Syntax (order) and Semantics (meaning).
- Some data elements have meaning that is independent of the places where they are used. These cases are handled well with a Data Dictionary/
- For data elements that are context-dependent, the meaning cannot be known without reference to the context. These cases need a richer model.
- Semantics in data processing goes back to the 1980's when EDI and XML structures were being defined.
- Data dictionaries appeared in the databases with the EAR or Entity Attribute Relational models used with languages like SQL.
- The Semantic Web can be dated to a paper by Tim Berners-Lee's paper in 2001 and the publication of the OWL language in 2004.
- Webster's Third International Dictionary, Etymology of Semantics
- Berners-Lee +2, The Semantic Web Scientific American (2001-05-17) https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-semantic-web/
- W3C, OWL Web Ontology Language Overview (2004-02-10) http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features/