Full Title or Meme
Which is the best Authentication Factor to use? "something you have" or "something you are"?
Any Authentication Factor leads to the two primary problems.
- Security, primarily the security of Access to some protected resource
- Privacy, primarily the protection of a user's private data.
- All Authentication factors release personally identifiable information (PII) in order to complete their work. The stronger the Authentication, the more information is released.
- Biometrics, or "something your are" seems to be the best way to show Proof of Presence, but a Wired article "Facial Verification Won't Fight Fraud" encourages states in the US to switch to state issued IDs or "something you have".
- See the wiki page for Multi-factor Authentication