Difference between revisions of "Ontology"
|Line 13:||Line 13:|
Revision as of 16:49, 24 April 2022
Full Title or Meme
The branch of metaphysics dealing with the nature of being aka a specification of a conceptualization of reality.
- Whereas the origin of the word was used for the discussion of the essence of things in the real world, in computer science it is used for a collection of abstract ideas in any specific domain.
- Some in the field confuse these terms, but convergence on the real meaning is not likely:
- Data Dictionary - mostly used by data base architects.
- Taxonomy - used to categorize concepts into distinct taxa.
- Ontology - used to add significance to a data dictionary.
- Most of Philosophy is arguing about the meaning and use of words. The idea that there will be a single ontology of any domain in computer science is absurd, which doesn't deter anyone from creating new ones all the time.