Full Title or Meme
The branch of metaphysics dealing with the nature of being in the Abstract aka a specification of a conceptualization of reality.
- Whereas the origin of the word was used for the discussion of the essence of things in the real world, in computer science it is used for a collection of abstract ideas in any specific domain.
- There is no obvious distinction between an Ontology and a Categorization.
- Some in the field confuse these terms, but convergence on the real meaning is not likely:
- Most of Philosophy is arguing about the meaning and use of words. The idea that there will be a single ontology of any domain in computer science is absurd, which doesn't deter anyone from creating new ones all the time.
- W W Skeat, Entomological Dictionary of the English Language Oxford (1879)