Privacy in an Emergency
Full Title or Meme
While some Privacy must be surrendered in an emergency, a little forethought will limit the exposure that results.
- Emergency can be categorized in two for the purposes of this wiki page.
- Every day emergency where life or property can be dealt with one case at a time.
- National, or lager emergency, where life or property is under immediate and unexpected assault.
Specific Use Cases
- The UK government approached the mobile phone and tech firms with large social graphs.
- South Korea’s government is using cellphone data to create live maps of COVID-19-infected people. In Israel, the controversial NSO Group is reportedly working on an app for monitoring the virus’ spread.
- The coronavirus pandemic is creating a lucrative market for facial recognition manufacturers. But privacy issues need to be top of mind, tech experts warn.Israeli Spyware Firm Wants to Track Data to Stop Coronavirus Spreading Bloomberg (2020-03-17) https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-17/surveillance-company-nso-supplying-data-analysis-to-stop-virus</ref>
- Shona Ghosh, Privacy activists fear the UK might spy on its own citizens to tackle COVID-19. Here's what we know. Business Insider (2020-03-26) Privacy activists fear the UK might spy on its own citizens to tackle COVID-19. Here's what we know.
- Lindsey O'Donnel Covid-19 Spurs Facial Recognition Tracking, Privacy Fears (2020-03-20) ThreatPost https://threatpost.com/covid-19-spurs-facial-recognition-tracking-privacy-fears/153953/