Full Title or Meme
In computer science typically means to stop a process after it has been started, but before it has completed.
- Originally to obliterate by drawing lines through an entry, the term is now a political act against people whose ideas which are no longer considered "acceptable."
- In H. G. Wells' book The New Machiavelli the protagonist Richard Remington (a thinly vailed story about the author) is "cancelled" in London society as not having the "correct classical" education. In this case it is not the typical view of Machiavelli, but rather the fact that he wrote about politics while in exile.
- The Chinese Philosopher Confucius similarly was unable to keep his place in court after he was "canceled" resulting in his inability to keep any court job for long.
- Today the Chinese government censors are ever at work to cancel the social media presence of any person who dares to criticize any official or public person who dares to report issues with the party or its handling of society.
- W. W. Skeat, An Etymological Dictionary of the English Language. Oxford (1882)