Full Title or Meme
- Federation originated in the foederati states that were supported by the Roman Empire in lands bordering the empire. "Less expensive and more efficient in operation, the foederati ultimately became independent rulers of the borderlands, with their interests intersecting in many ways with the policy of their imperial superiors.
- The strength of the central authority in a federation is the subject of huge debate, but eventually no conclusion other than practical necessity.
- Federation allow the creation of an Identifier. Ecosystem to be implemented for the imposition of policies that apply to all members of the federation.
- Most Identity Management systems are constructed to work with a range of publicly accessible sites that do not have all of the security protections that are required in high value transactions.
- OpenID Connect Federation 1.0 - draft 10
The OpenID Connect standard specifies how a Relying Party (RP) can discover metadata about an OpenID Provider (OP), and then register to obtain RP credentials. The Provider Discovery and registration process does not involve any mechanisms of dynamically establishing trust in the exchanged information, but instead rely on out-of-band trust establishment. In an identity federation context, this is not sufficient. The participants of the federation must be able to trust information provided about other participants in the federation. OpenID Connect Federations specifies how trust can be dynamically obtained by resolving trust from a common trusted third party.
- Marcin Grodzki, Yeuda D. Nevo Rocznik Orientalistyczny, vol. LXXI, issue 1, 2018, pp. 55–95