Full Title or Meme
Freedom from Friction is often the goal of designers of digital systems. Carried to extremes it is always a very bad idea.
- Revolutions against the oppressive regimes in France of the 1790's lead to the Jacobins and a reign of terror. There was no friction between accusing someone of royalist sympathies and the guillotine.
- In the 1920's freedom of expression gave us the roaring twenties.
- In the 1960's freedom of expression was carried to extremes in a backlash against societal ills like discrimination.
- In the 1990's freedom from regulation
An article in 1996 titled Friction-Free Economy Rhetoric Holds a Time Bomb described the results to be expected from friction-free movement of many. The introduction of this in the 2020's has proven that the warning was both true and ignored.
- Gary Chapman Friction-Free Economy Rhetoric Holds a Time Bomb (1996-01-11 LA Times https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1996-01-11-fi-23355-story.html