Full Title or Meme
- Some means for assuring the Web Site Security is required. See that page for details.
- The rest of this page is about establishing a level of assurance for User Information about a User also known as a Subject.
- In contexts where names are not validated (of low Assurance) the problem arises that trolls many adopt the name of some well-known person to be able to make statements that falsely appear to be from the real person.
- See discussion on the pages for Ephemeral and Persistent.
- Most of the existing protocols, like OpenID Connect and SAML 2.0 support the older NIST SP 800-63-2 level of assurance ratings. These are also baked into RFC 6711 "An IANA Registry for Level of Assurance (LoA) Profiles" and ISO/IEC 291151.
- The best source of Truth about an Identity is obtained by documentation of the Identity Proofing process. That is something that can be audited to measure reality against expectations.
- When the Identity Proofing proceeds in steps, then their is a prior level of Assurance that is step-wise augmented as each new level of proofing is performed. This step-wise process of augmenting the level of is referred to as Bayesian Identity Proofing which is further defined on that wiki page.
- Jack Nicas, Oprah, Is That You? Most Likely, It's Not. 2018-07-08 New York Times page BU1