Full Title or Meme
Design limited by the capability of humans' intelligence and imagination.
It has been felt by some that Evolution could not be correct because the results are so complex as to be unimaginable. But we now know that, in fact, intelligence as we know it is not capable of designing anything complex at all from scratch.
- Humans aren't nearly so smart or inventive as they think they are.
- It is now well known that no system of logic as complex as arithmetic can be complete. There are things that are true that cannot be determined in advance.
- Project managers often require a detailed design before they will start the project. This is understandable, and a good strategy, but the tactics of implementing the strategy cannot be so rigid or the result will be unsatisfactory, even to the designer.
- While it is fine to do one's best to create a good design at the start of a project, do not be beguiled into thinking it will not need to change as the project proceeds.
- Kurt Godel, On Formally Undecidable Propositions Of Principia Mathematica And Related Systems. Dover (1992 reprint of the 1962 Basic Books edition from the original 1930 article) ASIN B002G7WH8S.