Mobile Advertising ID
Full Title or Meme
The MAID is used to track user's smartphones.
ContextTracking user's smartphones is now routine in the US. Here is what an ad agency has to say.
MAIDs were built for the advertising community. Like cookies, mobile advertising IDs connect activity back to a real person. Because MAIDs are tied to an individual mobile device, they offer a precise way to identify specific people. Since MAIDs are set by the operating system (not the browser), they’re common across all application publishers. There’s no need to perform a sync, which can slow down identifying your customers and data collection. Plus, the lifespan of a MAID is about seven to eight months, allowing for persistent recognition.
|IDFA||Identifier for Advertising (iOS)||BCDE4299-01DT-98TC-D3F4-P57263876209|
|AAID||Google Advertising ID for Android||28757bwa-bd67-6d1c74bb-ae4d19ab5d34|
FTC sues data broker that tracks locations of 125M phones per month. Agency says data shows users visits to clinics and homeless shelters
Mobile Ad ID disabling
- Apple iPhone - Turn Identifier for Advertisers On / Off
- From a Home screen on your Apple® iPhone®, navigate: Settings. Privacy. . If unavailable, swipe left to access the App Library.
- Tap. Apple Advertising.
- Tap the. Personalized Ads switch. to turn on or off
- Allow Apps to Request to Track On / Off
On devices that have this feature enabled
- Open the Settings app and navigate to Privacy > Ads.
- Tap “Delete advertising ID,”
- Then tap it again on the next page to confirm.
This will prevent any app on your phone from accessing it in the future.
- Dan Gooden, FTC sues data broker that tracks locations of 125M phones per month Ars Technica (2022-08-29) https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/08/ftc-sues-firm-for-selling-location-data-that-can-track-abortion-clinic-visits/