Full Title or Meme
Context is all important in Understanding. Consider the following use cases:
- A simple thermostat has Understanding of a temperature being in the specified range, it agrees with all similar thermostats.
- A computer based thermostat has Understanding of a temperature being in the range desired by the time of day as presence (or absence) of humans in the environment.
- A building based environmental control system has Understanding of temperature, humidity and lighting throughout a building based on current usage and weather patterns.
- A weather prediction computer has Understanding of the current climatic conditions and can project them into the near future.
- A climate prediction computer has Understanding of the current climatic conditions as well as concentration of various chemicals in the atmosphere and can project them into the distant future.
- For today, only a human has Understanding of the impact of any of this on human life in the future, but that is only in agreement with a sub-set of the population.
It is short-sighted to limit Understanding to humans as several philosophers have done as shown on the page on Knowledge.
- Walter W. Skeat, Understand An Etymological Dictionary of the English Language (1882) Oxford Clarendon Press