Full Title or Meme
NATIONAL STRATEGY FOR TRUSTED IDENTITIES IN CYBERSPACE, Enhancing Online Choice, Efficiency, Security, and Privacy
- The state of affairs of the internet today is not meeting the needs of its Users with respect to either Security or Privacy.
- The Obama administration started the NSTIC program office in the Department of Commerce with a budget for support in NIST.
- Administrations change and now the NSTIC program has become misidentified with a single identifier for every citizen, which is explicitly banned by the US Federal laws.
- In spite of being illegal, the US DHS has implemented the e-verify program (under a different law) that all employers are required to use before paying wages and the US Treasury tracks all large payment in FINCEN (under the Patriot Act).
- Users have grown accustomed to most services on the internet offered at no immediate cost.
- The only payment model working for the common services is advertising with some small set of pages, like Wikipedia, supported by donations.
- Original document from Obama: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/1153382/nsticstrategy-041511.pdf
- NIST Archived document: https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2016/12/08/nsticstrategy.pdf
- Original Press release: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2011/04/15/president-obama-releases-national-strategy-trusted-identities-cyberspace
- Follow-by by HOWARD A. SCHMIDT: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2011/04/26/national-strategy-trusted-identities-cyberspace-and-your-privacy
- Description on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Strategy_for_Trusted_Identities_in_Cyberspace