Web Site Security
Full Title and Meme
For most of humanity their computer is first and foremost a communications device talking to a collection of Web Sites who must be trusted by the user to enable a meaningful experience.
- The day when a personal computer was for running application for the user is long gone, never to return.
- Today a personal computer depends on cloud based service for nearly all of its functionality.
- Web Site security is becoming widely known as Cyber-Security, probably because that sounds more important somehow.
- This page will only consider the use of a trusted User Agent, typically a web browser from a well-known and trusted vendor.
- For the case of the user allowing a Native App to be installed on their personal device, see the page Native App Security.
- After 20 years of web based attacks on users, security protection is still dependent on the education of users, who are known to be gullible. This is a 2018-12 report from the NSS
Education is a key component of protection against SEM [socially engineered malware] and phishing attacks. Users who are able to identify socially engineered attacks rely less on technology for protection against such attacks. NSS Labs recommends supplementing browser protection with user education to protect against attacks that bypass browser protections.
- The Web Site exposes its name in a manner that allows the user to make a meaningful trust decision. See the page on Trusted Identifier for details.
- Most browsers come with a feature that will evaluate any file downloaded to a computer based on a set of constantly updated filters installed in the cloud.
- The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is a 501(c)(3) worldwide not-for-profit charitable organization focused on improving the security of web site software.
- ISACs are member-driven organizations, delivering all-hazards threat and mitigation information to asset owners and operators.